Wednesday, February 21, 2007

JACOB PRESCHOOL UPDATE

Well, today was the first day back at preschool after the long President's day weekend. I always tell the boys what we will be doing the following day when I put them to bed. I told them they would be going to school. This caused Jacob to go into a fit. He didn't want to go. I then had a long talk with him, and told him I would stay with him during the first part of school. So the next day, I stayed.

His day at school starts with the playground. On the playground, the entire school (ages 0-5, about 50 kids) are all on the playground. Even with me there, he began to cry and practically melt into my legs. He wanted to go back inside, so I decided that I would take him inside and try to find out what's going on. Though he was still VERY attached to me, he stopped crying. Another little boy was inside, too, and tried to play with Jacob, but Jacob would have nothing to do with him, and hid his face.

His teacher, Ms. Robin, arrived, and she suggested we go back outside, as class was going to begin soon. No sooner did we get outside, and Jacob was crying again. Ms. Robin tried, I tried, other children tried, but he was very upset. Then it was time to go in, and Ms. Robin assigned Jacob the "line leader." He still wasn't happy, but he stopped crying. Before they went in, I decided to go in and have a discussion about this with the direct, Ms. Cindy. After a very long conversation with Ms. Cindy, I went in to check on Jacob in his class, who were all coming into their class from "potty time". Jacob was in line going to class when he saw me. Oh darn, I thought. But he saw me, and he looked up and said, "Oh, that's my Mom. Hi Mom." No big deal! Back to the old, outgoing, happy, independent Jake I know and love. Then he said bye and went into his class with the other kids, as if he hadn't been freaking out for the past 45 minutes!

Obviously, this is a playground issue, though I can't get out of him, what. I'm not sure if it's a bully on the playground (I am thinking this may be part of it), or Jacob's Sensory issues (too overwhelming to have ALL those kids running around), or what. Ms. Cindy and I have decided that next school day, I will drop him off a little closer to class time, so he will have limited playground time. And it is just THIS playground, because he goes to the playground when I go to my gym, and he loves it! So I'm kind of leaning towards there being a bully amongst them. We'll figure this out for my poor baby. :(

No comments: