Thursday, March 22, 2007

Anniversary of a Broken Heart

I didn't want to admit it, but I have been a bit emotional lately. It is because today is the one year anniversary of Joshua's heart surgery. For those of you who do not know, Joshua was born with a congenital heart defect called Ventricular Septal Defect (VSD). From birth, if you listened to his heart, it sounded like what the doctors said, a "washing machine." I thought it sounded more like water going through a hose. You could even feel it if you put you hand on his chest. When he was about 6 months old, we discovered he also had another defect called Pulmonary Valve Stenosis. That was a scary time, as I went in thinking that the doctor would do the echo and say his VSD (hole) had closed. Instead, he had me wait in another small room, and came in to tell me that his hole was bigger than he thought and he had another problem. I was alone, and I almost started crying.

Fast forward two years, and with some research, we took Joshua to Childrens Hospital Los Angeles where we felt very confident with the doctors and surgeons.

March 20, 2006, we decided that Joshua wouldn't be going anywhere for a while, so we took the kids to John's Incredible Pizza Kitchen. Which is basically like an overdone Chuck E. Cheese. They had sooo much fun. Then it was time to separate. My mom took Jacob and Malena back home and Alex and I went on to a hotel in LA with Joshua for an early morning surgery check up. When we got to the car, we gave Joshua his gift. A Care Bear that had "ouies" on his heart and all over. He loved it. We also made sure we took his yellow blanket that he does not go without.

He actually had a great time with just him and Mommy and Daddy. He loved it! All about Josh, day! After his tests at the hospital, the next day, we met my Mom and Dad with Jacob and Malena at Olvera St. for some sandwiches at Phillipe's (best roast beef sandwiches) and sight seeing.

My family then checked into our hotel, and we quickly learned we needed to get the kids (my trio and my two neices) out of the rooms before they kicked us out. So, since the subway was just across the street, we decided to take it to City Walk for dinner. MISTAKE. We took the wrong subway, the wrong way. Then we FINALLY got to City Walk, and waited for an hour for a table that we finally just left and ate at Carl's Jr. back by the hotel. It was frustrating, but we al had a good laugh afterwards. Memorable to say the least, and I'm actually glad there was something distracting me from thinking of the next morning.

Next morning, I think it was 5a.m., we showed up at the hospital. Alex and I took Joshua in to get ready for surgery. That was the hardest, scariest, worste moment of my life. As they took Joshua out of our arms, we watched as they carried him into surgery. I wanted to scream, "No, bring him back," but all I could do was hold Alex as we both could no longer hold back the tears.


After three very long hours, the surgeon came out to say everything went great and Joshua was doing wonderful. I know there must have been the biggest smile on my face. In another hour, we were by his bedside. He was very "out of it" that whole day, and when he first woke up, he was, understandably, in a lot of pain. He mostly slept that first day, and half the next day.


By the next evening, he was taken off the drugs and was doing awesome!

That night we had him walking all around the PICU. He was wobbly, but he was all over the place.

They moved him to another room, and we couldn't keep him in his "crib". By the next day, we were on our way home!

It was so wonderful to have him home and finally try to get back to normal, and just BREATHE a sigh of relief. Since then, it hasn't even phased him, and now, one year later, he barely even remembers anything at all. Sometimes he even forgets he has a scare (ouie) on his chest.

I love you Josh! My BIG, STRONG BOY!






Click on picture for a larger view






Some helpful sites:


http://www.umm.edu/ency/article/001099.htm

http://www.congenitalheartdefects.com/advice.html#whatilearned -this one is written by another mother.

http://www.cardioaccess.com/diag02.html -this one has pictures of the patch

http://www.congenitalheartdefects.com/surgeonquestions.html -this one is excellent set of questions for before, during and after written by another mother.

http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/dci/Diseases/vsd/vsd_treatments.html

http://www.goremedical.com/English/Products/Helex/Index.htm -one of the sites for the septal occluder

http://www.fda.gov/cdrh/mda/docs/p000039.html -another spetal occluder site.



2 comments:

Wendi said...

Doesn't seem like it's been a year already...WOW

Kim said...

What an amazing little man!!!