Tuesday, October 17, 2006

"What the Heck"

This is what Jacob exclaimed leaving pre-school today. In shock, I asked him what he said and he repeated it. I stopped right there on the sidewalk and told him those were bad words and not to use them again. I was not disciplining him, just correcting him, but he gave me the shy look and turned away like he does when I'm disciplining him. Hours later, at home, he said it again. Both were used in the correct context, so I know he knows what it means. Again I corrected him, and asked him to use nice words like, "excuse me". About half an hour later, he used it AGAIN and he had a time out. When I retrieved him from time out, I reminded him he was not to use bad words and he said, "excuse me." Not thinking, I said, "I said not to use bad words." Then realized he was telling me the words I told him to use. So I gave him a big hug, and told him yes and he was happy. Anybody have any suggestions to replace these "bad" words that have somehow become part of my son's vocabulary?

No comments: